Monday, November 10, 2008

Adventures in FamilySearch Indexing - Week 64

I didn't do any FamilySearch Indexing Sunday because I was resting with a cold. Still have it but I am functioning. I had a 5 hour nap today so I guess it was time to get up and do something.

The first thing I check for is any messages on the FamilySearch Indexing website. There is one with an update on the new servers.

November 4, 2008: Indexing Servers Back Up and Running

We successfully moved the indexing servers yesterday faster than we had planned. The system was back up and running by 3:00 PM MST. You should be able to open the application, download and submit batches as you did before.

If you have any issues opening the application, first try to click the Start Indexing button in the bottom right corner of this screen. If that doesn't open the application for you, click here for further suggestions.

The other place to check for messages in within the program itself in My Messages.
From: Headquarters
Subject: Semimonthly Message
Date: 04 Nov 2008

An announcement was posted on the FamilySearch indexing Web site (, on October 28th, stating that so far this year we have completed 100 million names using this indexing program. Great work, everyone!

Occasionally, there are messages that are posted to the indexing Web site that are not or cannot be posted here in this message area. Check the Web site now and then to keep up with these exciting and important announcements.
I guess that means we have to keep checking two sites to get all the latest FamilySearch Indexing news. You could always just read my blog and I will check for you.

Before I pick a project to work on this week I wanted to share a comment that was left on my blog this past week. It is referring to my goal of reaching 10,000 names indexed by the end of this year.
I don't want to burst your balloon because every name indexed is important, but our stake has done 1,101,649 names since Jan 08 with less than 60 indexers. One of our sisters did 18,257 names in October! As director, I ask everyone to try to do one batch a day. This keeps everyone up to date on projects. We like to get at least a 1000 per month from each indexer.

Wow, this is fantastic! I can't imagine having the time to index 1000 names per month or 18,000 plus for that matter! That is one devoted group of indexers. It sure makes my goal seem small in comparison but you're right every name indexed is important.

Ok, now it's time to pick the batch I will index this week. I worked on the Massachusetts Marriage Records last week and that almost made me fall asleep. Massachusetts also has Death Records and the 1920 US Federal Census. You can also do the 1920 Census for California, Illinois and Florida. Then there are the UK - Cheshire - Church and Land Tax Records. Which to do, which to do?

I think I'm going to jump the pond and travel to the UK - Cheshire - Church Records. YIKES! my record is in a foreign language. I don't do foreign languages. I read the project helps and it says that some records are in latin. I don't do latin. It says: "It is anticipated that with the helps, you will be able to index Latin forms, but if you feel uncomfortable doing so, simply return the batch." Ok, call me chicken but I returned the batch. I am not brave enough to start learning latin with a head cold.

YIKES, when I try to return the batch it asks if I want to take it out of circulation. I just want to return it and not do it so I'm not sure what's up with that. I said the reason was other and then it tells me to call my group administrator and explain why I am returning this batch. I think this is the first batch I have ever returned. At least now I have a number and name for my group administrator.

I decided to give my group administrator a call and make sure I was sending the batch back correctly. I had a lovely discussion with her. Everything was fine with the way I was sending it back. I guess you call your arbitrator so they have a chance to make sure you understand what you are doing.

So now I have to pick a new batch I decided to work on the the U.S Federal Census. I think I'll work on the Massachusett ones. Yes, it's in English! I worked on it and boy was it hard tonight. It was really difficult to read the writting. I downloaded two batches and they appeared to be written by the same census taker. You could not tell the difference between a "W" or an "M". I finally had to decide if they were married or a widower just by the family group. I also assummed everyone was white and not malotto since they were from Massachusetts. There were other letters hard to decipher and I just had to use the "*" on some.

I completed two batches of 50 each. That gives me a total of 100 names indexed tonight. My grand total to date is 9, 455. that means I need to index 545 records by the end of the year to reach 10,000. I think I can make it. For now I am going back to bed to get enough rest to get over this cold. Hello winter!

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you have notice about the indexing percent