Monday, December 29, 2008

Adventures in FamilySearch Indexing: Week 68

Well today is the day that I know I will reach the 10,000 names indexed mark. I am only 145 records from my goal. Before I start indexing I just have to read any messages that Headquarters might have for us.

On the FamilySearch Indexing website there is a dated message of thanks for our patience while the system was down. I don't feel the need to repeat it here.

In the program itself there are two messages in My Messages.
From: Headquarters
Subject: Semimonthly message
Date: 19 Dec 2008

Here are some tips to remember when you have difficulty identifying a letter or word:
  • Look for other letters or words on the document that are similar, and are found in more common or familiar words.
  • Use the previous or next image also to help you to identify the letter or word.
  • The lookup list can help decipher difficult names. Search it by using beginning letters, ending letters in the middle or the name or any combination of these.
  • Wild characters (? or *) can also be used in the lookup list fields. For example, type ?rus in the Starts with field of a country lookup list and you will find only one result: Prussia.
If you are unable to decipher all of a word, remember to use the wild characters (? or *) in the data entry fields in place of the unreadable letters. Use ? to replace one letter. Use * to replace multiple letters.
I learned something new, I didn't know you could use the question mark (?) as a wild character in the program. I will use this tip in the future I am sure. Our second message is:
From: Headquarters
Subject: Indexing Support Hours Changing
Date: 29 Dec 2008

Beginning January 1st, the hours for Indexing Support will be changing. Continue to contact us toll-free at 1-866-406-1830.
  • For help with the indexing program, or specific projects, hours are Monday-Friday from 7:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M., and Saturday from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. (MST, GMT-7).
  • For help with UDE, extraction inventory, or to place an order, hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. (MST, GMT-7).
  • For help with administration and leadership for indexing and extraction, hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. (MST, GMT-7).
The Support page of the FamilySearch indexing Web site will be updated to reflect these changes soon.
Ok, now onto my big moment - indexing until I reach the 10,000 mark. I figure I can do it with three batches of the census. Yup! the Massachusetts 1920 U.S. Federal Census is still on the list to index. It might as well be that project that gets me to the 10,000 mark.

I choose three batches to download. Wait a minute I must of hit something wrong. My batch isn't even in English, this is definitely not the U.S. census. I read on the program title that I am indexing the Argentina Censo 1869 - Buenos Aires. Weird! I return the batch. Wow, all three of my batches are from that project. Back they go!

Again choose the Massachusetts 1920 U.S. Federal Census. I check it twice, yes I have the right one. I tell it to download three batches. YES!!! Success, it's in English and the right batches this time. I must of been over anxious when I chose my batches the first time around. This is a big moment for me - it's almost like winning the lottery (if I ever played it! hehe).

The rest on my indexing time was uneventful. I did three batches in no time at all. It's been forever since I timed myself doing a batch. My last one took me all of 20 minutes to do. My, my, how different that is from my very first batch 68 weeks ago. Yes, it has taken me 68 weeks, with an average of 147 records indexed each week. I know that is no way near what others have done, but for me it's a milestone. I have actually stuck to it and by small means a lot has been accomplished. I think I will have a party to celebrate in just a few days!

Totally number of records indexed to date: 10,005 - WAHOO!!

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATZ!!!

Wow, 10,000!!!

Do you know, if FSI will one day publish scottish records to be indexed?

familytwigs said...

Love your Blog!
I nominated you for the Proximidate Award! Come by TwigTalk http://familytwigs.blogspot.com/
for more information!

WOW Renee!

Christie said...

Congratulations on reaching 10,000!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Renee!! 10,000 is a great milestone. I haven't made it there yet. Maybe someday.

I love your blog. Thanks for always keeping us in the loop on what's going on in the genealogy world.