The next regular, second-Saturday-of-the-month meeting of the Utah Valley PAF (Personal Ancestral File) Users Group will be on Saturday, 9 Jan 2010, from 9 am to noon in the LDS "RED" CHURCH AT 4050 North 650 East (Timpview Drive), Provo, Utah. NOTE THE CHANGE OF LOCATION. This chapel is within one mile of where we have been meeting for the past year. It is the same location where we met for the prior 15 years. A map showing the old and new location is located at http://www.uvpafug.org/map.htm .
The main presentation for this meeting will be by Janet Hovorka on COMPARING NEW FAMILYSEARCH CERTIFIED SOFTWARE. She will will compare the features available in the various software programs that have been certified by the LDS Church to interface with New FamilySearch, including Ancestral Quest, Family Insight, Legacy, and Roots Magic. Questions will be welcome. Janet Hovorka has a BA in Ancient Near Eastern Studies and an MA in Library Science from BYU and held positions at BYU and Salt Lake Community College before having her children. She has been teaching classes at local, regional and national genealogical conferences for a number of years. Janet and husband Kim own Generation Maps, an online genealogy chart printing service. She authors the Chart Chick Blog (http://www.chartchick.com).
Following the main presentation there will be several classes taught concerning technology and family history. As usual, there will be something for everyone at all levels of expertise. The teachers and classes currently scheduled for this meeting are the following:
- Duane Dudley on Searching for Completed Ordinances in New FamilySearch
- George Scott on Getting to Know New FamilySearch (Class 3 of 4)
- Venita Parry on Genealogy on Your MAC
- Janet Hovorka on Will Your Family History Work Survive the Digital Age?
- Marlo Schuldt on Easier Scanning - An Art And A Science - video of last month's main presentation
- Gaylon Findlay on Ancestral Quest
- Joel Graham on Legacy
- Bruce Buzbee on Roots Magic.