I know, I didn't write my usual article on Sunday. But I promise you I did do some FamilySearch Indexing. I was vegging out on my laptop and it started to take forever to move to a new column or new row. It was frustrating enough and late enough that I decided to call in quits and work on it tomorrow, which is now today. It was only after I shut down the indexing program that I realized my anti-virus program was running in the background. Duh, no wonder it was running so slow.
Well, it's a good thing I waited and finished my batch today. I was finally able to test working on a batch, saving it to the server and then finishing up that batch while working on another computer. The whole process worked flawlessly. I guess the only thing I need to test now is making sure I am working off line on a batch. I'm not sure that I have done that yet.
As usual when I started the FamilySearch Indexing program I looked for messages from headquarters. There weren't any. Which isn't surprising since they told us last week that they would have messages twice a month for us.
I looked again for a New York project and there wasn't any. That's not getting very surprising now either. I really hope when they do start a project that it's the state censuses. Oh, well time will tell. Once again I picked the Irish records. I worked on the Irish Death Indexes 1845-1958. This time I actually indexed 219 records and received credit for doing 250. I didn't think that was to bad. I now have a grand total of 6,236 records indexed.
It's funny how I don't seem to notice how much time the Irish records are actually taking me. I don't know why maybe because I am not concentrating so hard while I am doing them. I keep forgetting to time myself but I know I'm taking more time indexing these records than if I did one batch of the census records. Of course there are more records but I don't mind how long it takes it's really just kind of fun.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention a dilemma I had while indexing. I wasn't exactly sure what to do while indexing my batch it had an extra name typed in at the end of the first column. I realized that it was misplaced and belong alphabetically where the "*" was. Now my dilemma do I put it where it belongs alphabetically, type where it was in the column or include it at the end of the batch?
Here is what I did and I hope I am right. I decided to look at the "Project Specific Indexing Instructions". I had read them before and I knew if it was handwritten on the margins to include them at the end of the batch. Well I looked and looked for the typed add ins and couldn't find anything written about where to add them. Sooo, I decided to put them right where they were at the end of the first column and then just started indexing the second column right afterwards. I guess I should of called headquarters and asked them but it seem the logically place to put them. I hope I am right in doing that. If not I'm sure one of my readers will enlighten me.
I guess I will wrap this article up. I've been so busy lately working on some genealogy for a distant relative of mine. It's actually her husband's line so I'm not even blood related to the people. As much as I love doing genealogy I actually prefer to work on my own line. I am just itching to get back to my genealogy.
The only plus right now is that it's giving me a good chance to test out RootsMagic ease of entering data verses Legacy. You really get to know the flow for the program when you enter a lot of data into it. It is amazing how quickly you can pick up a new genealogy software program once you understand how one program works. Well I guess I actually knew two before hand - PAF was the first program I ever used, but I would be hard pressed to teach anyone how to use it now.
My relative wanted me to print out all the information for her and mail to her when I was done. I already have around 6,000 people in the database. That is an awful lot of paper and postage. I'm going to make a RootsMagic shareable CD and send it to her, then she can decide what to print out. Well, I'm off to work on that project now.
See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!