Sunday, January 25, 2009

Adventures in FamilySearch Indexing: Week 71

It's been a wonderful day. I joined my fellow genealogists at Scanfest today. Between the chatting I scanned 30 pages of photographs. I would load each page up with various size photographs and then scan them. So, I don't know in total right now how many pictures are scanned. I still have to go through the images and crop the individual photos to size. It really felt good to get some of my scanning done. There are plenty more still to do!

It's snowing here in Utah and I am nice and toasty next to my space heater. I have my fluffy bathrobe and fuzzy slippers on. It really does seem like the perfect time to do some FamilySearch Indexing. As always I will look for any new messages for us.

We have only one this week:
From: Headquarters
Subject: Guerrero - Censo de Mexico de 1930
Date: 20 Jan 2009

El Censo de Guerrero Mexico 1930 contiene registros de Hidalgo. Por favor indexen esos registros y los envien. La administracion esta consciente de esta situacion. Se corregira antes que llegue a Record Search.

The Guerrero - 1930 Mexico Census project contains records from Hildago. Please index the records and submit them. Indexing Administration is aware of this situation. It will be taken care of before it reaches Record Search.
Sorry that I don't have the accents on the Spanish words. I haven't a clue where to find them on my computer/keyboard to type them.

Last night I was reading my Robert Ragan's Treasure Maps Genealogy Newsletter and found this interesting item I thought I would pass along.
Video Lesson about the New FamilySearch Pilot Site

Here's the link to the my video lesson on the "FamilySearch Record Search - Pilot Site" that was mentioned in the December issue of Treasure Maps. This online resource, to free copies of original genealogy records, is so important, I want you to see exactly how it works.

If you didn't try searching for genealogy records about your ancestors after reading the article about the Record Search Pilot site last month, then this video should inspire you. It is such a
fantastic resource. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is worth...?

* See:
http://amberskyline.com/treasuremaps/genealogy-databases/free-original-genealogy-records-from-familysearch-new-pilot-site.html

NOTE: As you can see, the above link it is a mile long. So if it breaks into two lines in your email message, you can use this short link to get to the exact same page on Treasure Map's site:

*See: http://tinyurl.com/bsr994

This short link is safe. I set it up personally.

Enjoy, and TRY searches for your ancestors. ;-)

I watched the video and he did a really good job on it.

Well, it's time for me to choose which indexing project to work on this week. I worked on the Illinois 1920 US Federal Census last week. I see that is it available again this week so I picked that. Wrong! No current batches. So, I think I will try the Connecticut 1920 US Federal Census.

I downloaded three batches at one time. Just my luck to get a census taker that wrote really tiny and scribbled. They were tuff. One of my batches didn't even have the county filled out on the top of the page. I went to the previous page and that one wasn't filled out either. Since I had been indexing the same batches and they were almost in numeric order I could of guessed the county. I didn't because the next indexer wouldn't necessarily have that information available to them. That would be an arbitrators nightmare I am sure. So, I left it blank.

While I was indexing tonight I tried out a new internet radio station. It's called Your LDS Radio at www.yldsr.com. It was a great station. It had a mixture of LDS artist, country artist and pop-rock. Not exactly what I was expecting. The variety kept it interesting. It fit right into my indexing mood. If your looking for some mood music while indexing this station will keep you alert.

Three batches were enough tonight. I indexed 150 names for a grand total of 10,473 indexed to date. Now I am going to go back to cropping my scanned images until it's time for bed.

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Renee,

Thanks for the mention.

I'm a long-time fan of your blog, and didn't realize you were a Treasure Maps reader...nice to know.

Just wait until you see the *next* video.

;-) Robert