The 1940 U.S. Census Is Now Being Indexed!
4 April 2012
The 1940 U.S. Census is here and the 1940 US Census Community Project has kicked off to a great start! The excitement and enthusiasm for this project is far greater than anything previously seen in the six years that FamilySearch indexing has been available. Online volunteers completed the indexing for the state of Delaware in the first 24 hours. They are now indexing Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Virginia!
It may take up to two weeks to make all of the states available for indexing, so check the current projects page or follow the feed on Facebook to stay up to date on the next states to be released.
Current and Completed Projects
To view a list of currently available indexing projects, along with their record language and completion percentage, visit the FamilySearch indexing updates page. To learn more about individual projects, view the FamilySearch projects page.
New Projects Added
- Brasil, Rio de Janeiro—Cartões de Imigração, 1900–1965 [Part 2 J]
- U.S. 1940 Census—Alabama, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Virginia
- U.S., Arkansas—WWI Draft Registration Cards, 1917–1918U.S., Georgia—WWI Draft Registration Cards, 1917–1918
- U.S., Indiana Steuben—County Marriages 1811-1959
- U.S., Tennessee—County Marriages, 1790–1950 [Part G]
- U.S., Texas—Deaths, 1890–1976 [Part C]
View the FamilySearch Projects page to see the full list of available projects and to learn more about how to participate.
Recently Completed Projects
(Note: Recently completed projects have been removed from the available online indexing batches and will now go through a final completion check process. They will be published at familysearch.org in the near future.)
- U.S., Alabama—County Marriages, 1809–1950 [Part C]
- U.S., Alabama—WWI Draft Registration Cards, 1917–1918
- U.S., Missouri—WWI Draft Registration Cards, 1917–1918
- U.S., Ohio—Tax Records, 1800–1850 [Part 5]
- U.S., Texas—WWI Draft Registration Cards, 1917–1918
- UK, England and Wales—1871 Census for Lancashire and Yorkshire, and Durham [Part C]
- U.S., Indiana, Morgan— County Marriages 1811-1959
- U.S.—Index to Correspondence of the Record and Pension Office, 1889–1904
FamilySearch International is the largest genealogy organization in the world. FamilySearch is a nonprofit, volunteer-driven organization sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Millions of people use FamilySearch records, resources, and services to learn more about their family history. To help in this great pursuit, FamilySearch and its predecessors have been actively gathering, preserving, and sharing genealogical records worldwide for over 100 years. Patrons may access FamilySearch services and resources free online at FamilySearch.org or through over 4,600 family history centers in 132 countries, including the main Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.