TIME TRAVEL: CENTURIES OF MEMORIES
A Conference for the Nation’s Genealogists
Join fellow genealogists and family historians Aug. 31—Sep. 3, 2016, at the FGS 2016 National Conference, “Time Travel: Centuries of Memories,” designed to inspire you and enrich your family history.
Hosted by the Federation of Genealogical Societies with local host Illinois State Genealogical Society in Springfield, IL, FGS 2016 brings you sessions with a wide array of offerings from many of the nation's leading family history experts, along with top international speakers from Scotland and Australia. Each day of the conference is full of sessions aimed at strengthening your research skills no matter what your level or area of expertise might be.
You'll meet new friends and old while learning from top-notch speakers. Whether you are just starting to research your family tree or have been an avid genealogist for years, the FGS 2016 Conference is an event you cannot miss. This year’s all-star lineup features speakers from across the world, and topics will blend recent trends in family history — from DNA to technology with balanced research tips and general advice.
Here’s what is planned for you at FGS 2016:
Learning: With over 160 sessions, 72 expert speakers from around the world, 10 luncheons with speakers, 7 workshops, 2 interactive seminars, and exhibit hall, learning opportunities abound in the FGS 2016 program! With strong daily tracks covering the U.S. Midwest (regional track), the United Kingdom (British Isles and Commonwealth track), and continental European research (ethnic track), you’ll learn a multitude of ways to uncover more about your family’s history.
The migration track will provide many ideas for tracing how ancestors moved, and attendees will learn how to put their ancestors into context with the occupations, military, and religions tracks.
To stay current or expand your understanding of the value of DNA and technology tools, look for sessions and tracks on these subjects throughout the program.
At FGS 2016, there is something for everyone interested in exploring family history!
Networking: We’ve built-in a multitude of opportunities to meet like-minded genealogists and family historians with our special events including celebrating our FGS 40th Anniversary Gala on Friday night. Also, catch-up with old friends or meet new ones at one of our 10 luncheons, or explore our exhibit hall with other genealogists meeting genealogy vendors.
Fun: FGS conference attendees always have fun, and this year will be no exception with our special events including the premiere of the FGS Family History Quest game where 40th Anniversary Gala attendees will take a stroll down memory lane with FGS and have the opportunity to win prizes.
Plus, Springfield, IL, and the surrounding area are filled with easy-to-access historic sites and research opportunities with the Lincoln Home National Historic Site and the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum within walking distance of the convention center, and others just a short car ride away.
7 Reasons You Should Attend FGS 2016:
- Discover new ways to help you solve your genealogy research problems with over 160 expert-led sessions and workshops designed for all skill levels — beginner, intermediate, and advanced.
- Get a handle on DNA for genealogy with our DNA track and sessions led by the foremost experts in the field.
- With leading U.K. and Australia experts in our British Isles & Commonwealth track, finally tackle those overseas ancestral questions you have and expand your family tree.
- Learn how to unravel your ethnic ancestors’ stories with our in-depth continental European ethnic track.
- Take your family history research further with tracks covering military resources, religious resources, occupation resources, Midwest regional resources, migration patterns, and more to solve genealogy problems and to put your ancestors into context.
- Meet society leaders and organizations in the Society Showcase located in the Exhibit Hall and learn how their organizations can help you with your family history.
- Meet and have fun with other genealogists and family historians just like you with our built-in networking events and Springfield’s historic sites.