UTAH VALLEY PAF USERS GROUP
The next regular, second-Saturday-of-the-month meeting of the Utah Valley PAF (Personal Ancestral File) Users Group will be on Saturday, 14 Jul 2007, from 9 am until noon in the LDS "Red" Chapel at 4000 North Timpview Drive (650 East), in Provo.
The main presentation will be by Beau Sharbrough on YOUR GENEALOGY IN YOUR POCKET: PDA'S. This will be "PDA Roundup 2007" and will discuss five aspects of PDA uses in family history:
1. Hardware - what's available, what's it cost, what the difference?
2. Accessories - Which ones are for me?
3. Software - What can I do with this thing?
4. Genealogy software, Carrying your tree in your pocket
5. Gadgets - 12 things you can with a PDA that you can't do with a regular PC.
Beau Sharbrough is a popular lecturer writer on technical topics in family history. He is employed by the history website Footnote.com where he is Senior Director of Content Strategy and Acquisition. In his 4th year of Utah residency, he's one of the few non-LDS to regularly give fast offerings.
Following the main presentation there will be several classes taught concerning technology and family history. As usual, there will be something for everyone at all levels of expertise. Following are the classes currently scheduled for this meeting.
1. Searching the Internet IGI for Completed Ordinances, by Duane Dudley
2. Record Search (from FamilySearch Indexing), by Merlin Kitchen
3. Newspaper Research on the Internet, by Laurie Castillo
4. Q&A on Using PDA's, by Beau Sharbrough
5. Individual Mentoring, by Becky Roberts and Lynne Shumway
6. Video of last month's main presentation on Footnote.com, by Justin Schroepfer
7. Legacy, by Joel Graham
8. RootsMagic, by Bruce Buzbee.
All meetings of the Users Group are open to the public whether members of the Group or not. The Users Group has the goal of helping individuals use technology to further their family history and there are usually 100-125 attending the monthly meetings on the second Saturdays. Several of the officers, including Gerhard Ruf, President; Brian Cooper, 2nd VP; Lynne Shumway, PAFology Editor; Kay Baker, Membership Chairman; and Bruce Merrill, DVD & Video Librarian, will be there to help with membership, questions, distribute the current issue of the monthly newsletter PAFology, and to check out videos and DVD's of past presentations and classes to members of the group. Information about the Users Group, main presentations, classes, and class notes are available on the Group's web site http://uvpafug.org. For further information see the web site or contact President Gerhard Ruf at firstname.lastname@example.org (225-6106), VP1 Elder Don Snow at email@example.com, or VP2 Brian Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org.