Sunday, January 13, 2008

Adventures in FamilySearch Indexing - Week 25

I wasn't feeling to great today so I wasn't even sure if I would ever get out of bed and do some FamilySearch Indexing. Thank goodness for laptops and wireless connections. There were two messages from Headquarters waiting for me when I logged into the program.

The first message:
From Headquarters
Subject: 1871 Canadian Census & Mecklenburg projects
Date 11 Jan 2008

As you may have noticed, batches for the 1871 Canadian Census projects and the Mecklenburg projects are no longer available on the Download From... menu. These projects have been removed for additional review.

For the Canadian Census, we may be able to secure better quality images. For Mecklenburg, we hope to have it restored with better training aids to assist in reading that particular version of German script.

We appreciate all of your work on these projects and the data you submitted will be used. We hope to have new Canadian and German projects available very soon.

Thank you for your understanding.
This second message is very important, especially if you want to index tomorrow morning.
From: Headquarters
Subject: Notification of System Downtime
Date: 11 Jan 2008

PLEASE NOTE:

The FamilySearch indexing server will be down for some scheduled maintenance at 10:00AM on Monday, January 14. We anticipate the system being down for approximately two hours. Please do not try to download or submit batches during this time.

If you plan to index during this time, you can download up to five batches before 10:00AM, work on them offline, and submit them when the system is back online.

Thank you for your patience. We greatly appreciate all you do.
I was pleasantly surprised when I looked at the projects available to index. My New York 1850 Federal Censuses were available. YIPEE!!! I Love New York! That made it all worth the effort of doing indexing when you don't feel to well. I actually indexed 5 batches for a total of 210 individuals. That made my grand total to date of 2,500 individuals indexed. That was fitting since it's my 25th week and I average about 100 names indexed a week. So much for feeling sick and not wanting to do anything. I guess I should feel sick more often.

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

No comments: