Monday, January 28, 2008

Adventures in FamilySearch Indexing - Week 27

After reading and listening to so many stories of President Hinckley's life, I determined the best way to honor him was to "Carry On". I did do my FamilySearch Indexing while listening to the local radio station about news of his death.

I was so upset I didn't do a very good job at it. It also saddened me to find out there were no more New York 1850 U.S. Federal Censuses to index. I guess I could be happy that it might be finished but I wanted to work on it. So instead I did two batches of the New Jersey 1850 U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedule, making my grand total to-date 2,682 individuals indexed. I just kept messing up and re-doing I really hope I finally got it right. I did learn that some projects do not work well when you are upset or under stress. Now that it is 24 hours later I can actually write about my experience.

On the FamilySearch Indexing site there was the following message for us:
From: Headquarters
Subject: Classes for Indexers at Family History Library
Date: 25 Jan 2008

We cannot take you all enough for the amazing work you are doing. You are truly outstanding!

As a resource to provide further training to indexers and to establish another venue for indexers to ask questions, the Family History Library in Salt Lake City hosts FamilySearch indexing training classes. If you live in the Salt Lake City area or plan to visit sometime, you may want to attend one of these classes.

To view the class schedule, follow these steps:
  1. Go to www.familysearch.org
  2. Click on the Library tab.
  3. Click on the Education link near the top of the page.
  4. Click on Family History Library Monthly Class Schedules
  5. Look for "FamilySearch Indexing Series: How To Do Indexing" or "Extraction with FamilySearch Indexing".
You can also come to open labs just to practice indexing. There are no lessons taught during this time, but you may ask whatever indexing questions you like. These open labs are listed on the same class schedule as mentioned above. Look for "FamilySearch Indexing Series: Practice time".
For those of you interested I did find some lovely photos online of President Hinckley. I am comforted now knowing he is with his dear wife Marjorie. Yes, I plan to "Carry On".

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

No comments: