Sunday, February 15, 2009

Adventures in FamilySearch Indexing: Week 74

It's after 9 p.m. and I am just winding down enough for the day to actual think about working on FamilySearch Indexing. Normally this late in the night I would not start a batch to index on. I would just call it a night because I have to get up early to work in the morning. But, tomorrow is a holiday and I don't have to work it's a late night for me. YIPEE!! I just love my all night genealogy sessions.

For mood music I am listening to FM100.3 Soft Sunday Sounds. I really enjoy listening to all the songs LDS artists are creating. There is a mixture of other artists but I like to hear the new LDS songs the most. I just wish the NOW PLAYING notice on the website actually worked. I would like to know who I am listening to. Haha, I just figured out how to make it work - you have to manually refresh the page. What a pain! Oh well, I really only check when I want to know the title and artist info.

Ok, now I'm all comfy with mood music, I have my nightgown on and my fuzzy slippers. Yup, it's indexing time. First we have to check for any new messages. Nothing new on the website. The Family Search application does have one new message.
From: Headquarters
Subject: UK - Cheshire - Church Records
Date: 10 Feb 2009

Some images in this project look as if they are cut off. (Click here to see an example.) If your batch contains some of these images, you are only responsible to index the completely visible page. The other, cut-off page will be indexed elsewhere in your batch or in another batch.

Also, some documents in the project were recorded in Latin. The project instructions provided include excellent help for these records, including a glossary of common Latin words. Even if you do not read Latin you should still be able to index these records while using the help provided. You may even consider this a fun challenge.

The following links are also included in the project instructions and show word-for-word translations of common Latin documents in this project.
  1. Baptism record on a Latin form
  2. Baptism record handwritten in Latin
  3. Marriage record on a Latin form
  4. Burial record on a Latin form
If you still do not feel comfortable indexing a batch you've already downloaded, simply return the batch for someone else to complete.
I don't know learning Latin just doesn't sound fun to me. I've been working on my genealogy now for over 30 years and I have yet to attempt to work on any of my foreign lines. Did I ever to tell you that I took French in high school for two years. My parents wanted me to because I have a french first name. I did terrible in French. My sibling all took German and they would talk to each other in German, now that seemed fun to know a different language and speak it with a sibling.

Well I had no one that spoke French around me. Even my French teacher couldn't speak it right. He got shot in the jaw during the war and spoke it with a lisp. If you sat in the first few rows of the class he would be spitting all over you. I would listen to him pronounce the words and then listen to french language tapes in the lab and they sounded nothing a like to me. Others seemed to catch on but not me. My mother-in-law is from Paris, France and I can hardly understand her at times. I guess the gift of tongues passed me by.

Time for me to pick out the batches I will work on. I'm thinking something English, hehe. I am really into the Federal Census. There is one for the District of Columbia - 1920 US Federal Census that seems good.

That was so fast, I finished three batches. I did a total of 150 names. My total to date for names indexed is 10,941. Next week I should hit the 11,000 mark - cool!

My eyes are heavy so I better go to bed. I thought I would work on genealogy all night but I guess it will just have to wait until the morning.

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

No comments: