Sunday, September 23, 2007

Adventures in FamilySearch Indexing - Week 9

Well it's Sunday and the normal routine is to go to Church, come home take a nap and then do FamilySearch Indexing. It's been 9 weeks and I have pretty much followed that routine. The only difference today was I got sick, and had to come home from Church right after Sacrament meeting. I slept a very long time and still didn't feel much better.

This weeks dilema would I do my Indexing or not? I sure hate ruining a good routine when I am on one. I get some medicine into me and dragged myself to the computer room. I decide to just let the computer decide what I should index - even though I did still look to see if Tennessee is still on the list - yup it is, what's up with that!

My assignment is the 1900 U. S. Federal Census for the state of Georgia. I was so blessed that my record is clear and easy to read. I run through it in no time at all. Nothing earth shattering to report. I guess the indexing fairies are being kind to me given the physically state I'm in. Now that I have finished that assignment I needed to report back to you. First I needed a change of environment.

I come into my family room and sign into my laptop. I realize all other articles I planned on writing today are going to be set aside. My husband is sitting and watching "Remember the Titans" on t.v. He helps me wrap up into a nice comfy quilt. Strangely enough after having completed my single batch of indexing now that I have my laptop up and running I feel like doing some more. I realize the laptop doesn't have the FamilySearch Indexing program on it. I start the download and after a while the 28.2 MB file is one my computer and up and running.

I index another 100 names and now have a grand total of 624 names indexed to date. My eyes are heavy so I must finish my indexing for the night. It is very addicting doing it on my laptop. Maybe I will start indexing on my down time when the t.v. is just playing in the background. It is really easy to index when you are all comfy. Maybe it was a good thing I got sick after-all.

My speed of indexing has increased and I don't think it's just because of how clear the pages are. I think it has to do with something President Heber J. Grant said:
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do; not that the nature of the thing itself is changed, but that our power to do is increased."
That has always been my favorite quote and I can see the principle applied to my indexing ability. Well it's off to bed...

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

No comments: