Sunday, December 16, 2007

Adventures in FamilySearch Indexing - Week 21

Well, well, well I made it through training alive and now I am working from home. The only problem is I am totally wiped out now. Six weeks of training full time is a major accomplishment for me health wise. Then I spent all day yesterday Christmas shopping - which is not a wonderful thing to do on a weekend so close to Christmas. When I finally got home from shopping my daughter called and wanted me to go with her shopping. So I visited some stores twice in one day. Let me tell you the second go around wasn't any easier than the first visits. With all the complaining done now I can happily say my shopping is completed. All I have to do is wait for a few items to come in the mail and then I am in business.

I bet by now you are wondering what any of this has to do with FamilySearch Indexing? Well - absolutely nothing other than I can relate to how crazy it is this time of the year for everyone. I really wondered if I would reach my commitment to do FamilySearch Indexing this Sunday evening. I wanted to just sit back and do my standard 1850 U.S. Federal Census, which was getting very easy for me to do. Then I read this message on FamilySearch Indexing.
From: Headquarters
Subject: Turn-around Time for 1871 Canadian Census
Date: 14 Dec 2007

Attention all Indexers and Arbitrators

Because of the need to quickly complete the 1871 Canadian Census project, we have shortened the turn-around time. Instead of one week, you will have just four days to finish and submit your batch. Please work as quickly as possible. We really need your help to finish this project.

Based on language, we have separated Quebec from the other provinces. Hopefully, this will also help speed up production.

We truly appreciate all you are doing. You are essential to the success of this vital and important work.
Honestly, even after reading this pressing need to get the 1871 Canadian Census completed I still wanted to do my 1850 U.S. Federal Census. It was safe and easy and I didn't have to fuss and learn anything new. Ok, I was lazy but after I found out that my New England States Censuses were completed I thought oh what the bother - I will give it a go.

Happily I can report that it was pretty simple and straight forward. I was glad that I only down loaded one batch because it did contain two pages making 40 names to index and for today that was plenty for me to do. I have now indexed 2,054 individuals to date. I can also report that the project has a rather nice feature of auto filling in the church names for you even if you have not previously used them elsewhere in the batch. I really liked that feature. I wish all the projects did that. You also get to use the ruler tool on this project something that I never used before now. I love new tools because they make me feel like I have new toys to play with!

After complaining and moaning it has been rather a nice way to end this busy and tiring day. You never do feel bad after you index a batch of names. It just has a way of making you feel a sense of accomplishment in a very short amount of time. Well it's off to bed and onto a new week and a new schedule.

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

1 comment:

Thomas Jay Kemp said...

2,054

Way to go!
Congratulations Renee.

Tom