A message from Merrill White is below. Please circulate this with any of your consultants who may be interested in volunteering at Roostechin the Discovery Experience area. If you work a day at the booth, you get a free day at RootsTech. If you are already registered, this day can be credited to your account. No expertise is required. It will be a great way to see Discovery Experiences in action. I am volunteering for one day for this very reason. Please respond to Merrill by or of this week. Merrill apologizes for the late notice.
Thank you very much. Hope to see you at RootsTech!
Lisa McBride, AG US/Canada FH Center Relationship Manager
Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Merrill White and I work for FamilySearch. This February brings us another exciting RootsTech Conference (https://rootstech.org/), the largest Genealogical/Family History Conference in North America. FamilySearch is searching for volunteers to help with the conference, and I am specifically looking for volunteers to assist with the "Discovery Experience" in the Expo Hall (https://rootstech.org/wp-
content/uploads/2013/08/RT14- Event-Map-0813-Color-FINAL.pdf ). Those who volunteer need to be familiar with computers and the Internet, FamilySearch.org, and feel comfortable assisting others.
We offer this as an opportunity for individuals to serve and to increase their skills in sharing with others the joy of Family History and how FamilySearch can help.
Expo Hall hours:
We ask that those who volunteer commit to serve for one full day of the three days the Expo Hall is open. In exchange we will give volunteers the following:
· 1 FREE day at the Conference. Give a day to get a day. (If you have already registered then you would receive a partial refund. For example, if you already registered for the 3 days $99.00 deal then you would be credited $33.00. Please tell me if you have already registered and this refund applies to you.)
· $10.00 Food Voucher for the Salt Palace the day you volunteer.
· RootsTech Volunteer Tee Shirt (request which size).
Unfortunately, we will not be able to validate or pay for parking or transportation.
The Experiences in the Discovery Area will focus on new ways to engage others in their family history:
· Photo Palooza: Area for people to scan their photos to FamilySearch.
· Keepsake Photo Opportunity: Individuals and/or groups will be able to take a head shot of themselves and have their image put on a classic historical photo. This photo will be emailed to them.
· Recording Booth: Whisper Booth where someone can record their story for 10 minutes. It has sample questions and exports the file as an MP4 file onto a USB drive.
· Call a relative: They will enter a phone number and an email address. When they press call it will record the conversation and email it to them afterward. This will also have sample questions via categories as prompts as needed.
· Small Applications: These link to Family History related Websites. Examples include:
o Name Meaning: http://names.whitepages.com/
o Immigration/Migration: https://rootsmapper.com/
o Name Cloud: http://www.treeseek.com/
o Descendancy Research: http://puzilla.org
These computers will be locked down to access only these select Websites. There is a separate area of the exhibit hall that has full internet access and also a location for family history research help. That area will be staffed by another group of volunteers.
If you are interested in volunteering please respond by. Please include in your reply:
· Your contact information, including phone number and email address
· Day you plan to volunteer, and day you wish for the FREE registration
· Tee Shirt Size
· Discovery Experiences you are most interested in assisting (We can rotate assignments)
Please share and forward this email to anyone you think would be interested. Thanks so much and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.