Wednesday, February 08, 2017

RootsTech 2017 Day One Activities

I know RootsTech doesn't start until tomorrow but today was the beginning of events for me. I knew this was going to be way bigger this year, than previous years, when I saw the billboards advertising RootsTech on the highway coming in.

First, I had a VIP Tour of the new Family History Library Discovery Center. I was a little disorientated walking in. The main floor of the FHL is totally, amazingly, transformed. It was hard to picture that everything genealogy research was upstairs. You have to visit it to appreciate the experience. Yes, I cried during my visit. I did a day in history tour of my mother and the memories just flooded back seeing events right before her death. I could feel her in the room while I was sitting there. This place is holy and has the power to create eternal connections to your ancestors.



In the evening I attended the Media Dinner. My favorite way to start RootsTech. I found out tonight I am one of six original bloggers (now ambassadors) since RootsTech began in 2010. It has grown into something amazing. Speaking of amazing listen to these registrations stats.

  • Innovator Summit 1,400 attendees (closed registration)
  • RootsTech W-F tracks 12,000 attendees
  • Family Discovery Day 30,000 attendees for Saturday (closed registration)
  • Attendees from 43 countries, including all states in the US, but Nebraska
  • RootsTech Opening Event, "Music, It Runs in the Family at the Conference Center at Temple Square is sold out - 21,000 attendees

This was such a fun dinner.  Not only did we get a taste of what is coming we received cool gifts. Totally getting into the Cake Boss, Buddy Valastro keynote on Saturday. There are over 60 competitors entered into the cake decorating competition.  We received a run down of each days themes, and a glimpse of staging. Which is incredible! I can't believe how much RootsTech has transformed over the years.




Then I had my caricature done. Something I have always wanted, but have never had an opportunity to have one. I think it's totally me. It's hard to imagine the fun has just begun. This RootsTech is going to be great!


See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another "RootsTech" genealogy day!

No comments: