Wednesday, August 01, 2007

My First Indexed Batch

I finally did it! I found the time to index my first batch of records. I was assigned the Texas 1900 U.S. Federal Census. It took me all afternoon to do it but I finally got 50 names indexed. What I wanted to do was time myself and see how long it took, but my children interrupted that plan. They were worse than little children today and there was no nap time to do my work. I guess once a mother always a mother.

I found it interesting the message FamilySearch Indexing had for us, dated 30 July 2007.

"Dear FamilySearch Indexing Users,

Due to the overwhelming reader response to the FamilySearch Indexing article in the Ensign Magazine, the system has been much slower than normal. We appreciate your patience as our engineers make adjustments. We hope you will not become discouraged because of the slow response time. We are grateful for your willingness to work and understand the frustration of dealing with slow system response times. We truly appreciate your understanding and dedication."

Seem I wasn't the only one having problems Sunday. Since this was my first batch I didn't notice any slow response time. Everything went fine on my end. What I'm thinking is that I will download two batches now so I won't have any problem working on them Sunday. I guess we will have to wait until next Sunday to see if the engineers have made all the needed adjustments. In the mean time at least my stored batches will give me something to work on.

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

1 comment:

Lori Thornton said...

It's a little addictive at times. I can usually do a batch in 30 minutes or less. If the writing is really bad, it may take a little longer. The first batch did take a little longer. At first there were different entry forms for censuses, but most of them are pretty uniform now. The thing about the different entry forms was that the way they remembered info was a little different so you'd be used to one which would remember the last thing you typed and the next would default to the first thing in the alphabet.