Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Games - Day 4

Yesterday I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with the Winter 2010 GeneaBlogger Games, because of some newly discovered info that had me sidelined.  After thinking about it I decided I will continue to work on the games, as time allows. I put my research questions, into RootsMagic To-Do List so I could remember to go back and work on it later.

I actually took a short nap this afternoon, well at least short to me, it was only an hour and a half.  This meant I could spend more time working on the games before the Winter Olympics come on TV tonight.  I am focusing on my strong point during the games and that is organizing.  Here is a recap of the category.

Organize Your Research!

So you have plenty of research – that’s okay if you can find what you need when you need it, right? Take time to review your collection of documents and photos, both hard copy and digital, and work to organize those items for easy access.
  • Task A: Organize at least 20 hard files or ancestral items (books, fabrics, inherited items) into file folders, boxes, envelopes, containers, etc.; archival-quality where appropriate.
  • Task B: Organize at least 20 digital files into folders, label, add metadata, add descriptions, add tags, etc.
  • Task C: Organize at least 20 photos into photo albums, scrapbooks, collages, protective holders, boxes, etc.
  • Task D: Organize at least 20 digital photos into folders, label, add metadata, add descriptions, add tags, etc.
  • Task E: Create at least 20 data entries in your database, or scan 20 photos, or scan 20 documents.
  • Task F: Create a master list of your files and notify your family members of where it is stored.
Qualifications for “Organize Your Research!”:

* Complete any one task – Bronze Medal
* Complete any two tasks – Silver Medal
* Complete any three tasks – Gold Medal
* Complete any four tasks – Diamond Medal
* Complete five or more tasks – Platinum Medal

My Tasks Completed:

1. Task E: I scanned a total of 62 birth, death, marriage certificates and obituaries. I was a over-achiever here but I was on a roll and the task just needed to get done.

2. Task A:  After scanning I placed the documents into sheet protectors and into their appropriate binders to protect them. That should fit for completing Task A. I did inherit some of these documents from my mother after-all. I don't have any other ancestral items unorganized to count otherwise.

I could get more done if I didn't have to work, take naps and watch the Olympic games at night.  I am also doing some tedious genealogy research for someone else while watching TV at night. If you're curious that means I a checking to see if LDS ordinances are done for their relatives. It's an easy project to do between commercials and not very interesting Olympic sports sections.

My Medal Standings:

Backup Your Data - Gold Medal
Organize Your Research - Silver Medal

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

No comments: