Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Games

In the Olympic spirit GeneaBloggers around the world are participating in "The Winter 2010 GeneaBlogers Games. I am competing this year.

For details please see the Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Game page on GeneaBloggers.

Competition Categories

Competition will take place in the following categories:

1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources
2. Back Up Your Data
3. Organize Your Research
4. Expand Your Knowledge
5. Write, Write, Write!
6. Reach Out and Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness

See Competition Categories – Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Games for details.

I will be participating under my heritage flag below.



My family is American. My father's ancestors arrived shortly after the Pilgrims from England.  My mother's ancestors are Palatine Immigrants from Germany and arrived in 1710.  I will fly my heritage flag proudly in the opening ceremonies tomorrow, 15 Feb 2010.

The competition has already begun and I have a medal in the second category Back Up Your Data! Here is a review of the category details:

2. Back Up Your Data!
Backup data to choice of formats (flash drives, CDs, DVDs, online) or storing hard copies properly (safety deposit box, safe, etc.).

Task A: Prepare a comprehensive backup plan for your digital research files and a security plan for your hard copies and photos.
Task B: Secure your hard copies and photos in waterproof containers.
Task C: Backup all your data using a flash drive, an external drive, CDs, DVDs, or an online resource
Task D: Have all your hard copies and photos scanned and secure them either in a fire-proof safe or offsite in a safety-deposit box/secure environment
Task E: All your data is backed up digitally and secured physically and you can recover from any disaster while losing only one month or less worth of research
Qualifications for “Back Up Your Data!”:

Complete Task A – Bronze Medal
Complete Task B – Silver Medal
Complete Task C – Gold Medal
Complete Task D – Diamond Medal
Complete Task E – Platinum Medal

I have all my digital files backed up with Mozy and two external hard drives. This makes me a "GOLD" medal winner!!!!

Winning this medal is the outcome from many years of practice.  My backup plan has evolved over the years. I have used 5 1/4" floppy disks, 3 1/2" disks, CDs, DVDs and now the current plan of external hard drives.  I would try hard to remember to give family members updated copies for off-site storage, but they would never really be current. I can't afford to loose even a weeks worth of data. It wasn't until I started to use Mozy that my plan is now complete. Now if I could only get all my hard copies digitized I would be Platinum. There is room for growth, but I am happy where I stand on the medal stand.

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

No comments: