Friday, June 26, 2009

New FamilySearch update - 26 Jun 2009

More news from my source at FamilySearch.
Renee,

I believe you are already aware of this but the official invitation for early access to new FamilySearch went to the registered consultants and registered priesthood leaders in the Jordan River Temple district yesterday.

I am also hopeful to have something official about the consultant model that has replaced the “view-only” model by the end of today.

Thanks,
Thanks for the info. I am really curious about the second part.
Renee,

It looks like the new popup and information is now there when you attempt to search in the IGI. The new message indicates that temple ordinances are no longer updated in the IGI and that members should work with a consultant or a family history center to check for names in the new FamilySearch. Of course they should check both the IGI and new FamilySearch to verify that the names have not been done.

Thanks,
I actually saw the pop-up message last Sat morning when I was working in RootsMagic 3's IGI search feature. Then went to the FamilySearch.org website and saw that is was coming from there.
There’s actually a new popup. The one you saw last Saturday indicated that IGI users were being given “view-only” access. This is not the case now. Rather than providing a limited, view-only option in new FamilySearch, members are being instructed to have a consultant or center director assist them as a “helper” in checking the names in new FamilySearch.
Oh, I see the difference. Thanks.

-end-

Now we just have to wait to find out the rest of the story on the consultant model!

I would imagine that the family history consultants in the Provo temple district should get word of NFS access soon too. They are the last of the temple district without access along the Wasatch Front. I'll let you know when I have further word.

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

1 comment:

hall said...

While consultants and Priesthood Leaders in the Provo Temple District who registered previously have not, as far as I am aware, received the "official invitation to new FamilySearch" (at least I have not received such an invitation), apparently it is possible for consultants and Priesthood Leaders in the Provo Temple District to register and, generally, within 24 hours register to receive full access to NFS. To verify this, I helped my wife (a staff member in our Tri-Stake FHC) and my son (an Elders Quorum president) do both registrations this past week.

As the director for our stake in a Tri-Stake FHC that reportedly is one of the nearest family history centers to the Provo Temple, we are anticipating that patrons who bring a TempleReady disk to the Provo Temple after it is converted to NFS will be given a list of family history centers, including ours, with instructions to have the TempleReady disk converted in NFS to an FOR.