Saturday, October 05, 2013

SLCC Genealogy Course: Post #7 - 1900's Census Records

Last week blog article I still needed to finish my 100 point assignment for the Salt Lake Community College Genealogy Course. I needed to find all the 1900 census records for a family. They needed to be entered, fully sourced and noted on my research log along with a family group sheet handed in. I had so many problems getting it done Saturday and Sunday.

It wasn't until Wednesday afternoon before I could finish working on the project.  Now granted, I only needed to do this for one family. Seeing that we were only working with 3 generations, that left me with only my grandparent's families to work with.

My paternal grandparents only had one census record the family would have been in during the 1900's, which was the 1940 United States Census. I could have just done that one family and called it good. Well, I decided I wanted to research both grandparents census records. My maternal grandparents married way before my paternal grandparents were even born. I ended up looking at their 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940 United State census records.  Then I had the 1915 and 1925 New York State Census records to locate and transcribe too. They had 13 children so there were a lot of census facts, notes and sources to enter. Needless to say I was very busy Wednesday afternoon and evening.

I didn't get the assignment done until 11:30 pm that night. That was 29 minutes before the deadline. I kept telling myself, as I worked on my maternal grandparents, that if I ran out of time I could always hand in the research on my paternal grandparents before the deadline. Thankfully that didn't happen. But, I can imagine my teacher is now wishing that is what I had done instead.

I have to say, after transcribing and entering the information on all those census records, that I finally feel like a pro at it. You really do get to understand the record better after making a transcript. Creating a transcript of the various census records is not a hard thing to do at all. Just like anything you need to practice before you get the hang of it.

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

No comments: